Saturday, February 25, 2023

Beyond The Ribbon

It is no secret that the ribbon in just about any major application is beyond useful. But the chapter about features and tools that are in other menus not found in the primary ribbon most definitely takes the cake for "Best Features to Know About". Knowing about extremely helpful short cuts and things of that nature in almost all software can make you far more efficient. If you repeat a simple task enough times but are able to do it in a fraction of the amount of time can end up saving hours upon hours of effort. 

There isn't too many exciting things to show for such a topic but I did manage to find a potentially helpful video about iPhone shortcuts.


I do a lot of CAD design for work. Without knowing how to reach the lesser known menus or using the shortcuts for a feature that most people never think about when making parts sets us ahead of a lot of our competition when it comes to developing exceptional parts. The best part of this chapter though is that I have already applied most of these shortcuts and used some of these more elusive features to write some of my papers for other classes!

9 comments:

  1. 3.1.5 Beyond the Ribbon definitely showcases efficient paths of navigating to functionalities :-)

    Instead of focusing on one of those paths (Task Panes, Mini Toolbar, Shortcut Menu, Quick Access Toolbar, Backstage View), you showcased shortcut/automation in an operating system other than what LabSim illustrated for you, excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like that you can customize the ribbon and also add keyboard shortcuts. It do make life easier! 😁

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is interesting. I myself do not own any Apple products but I can pass this along to the people I know that own them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elijah, thanks for sharing the video. I learned quite a few shortcuts that will make things more efficient and save time in the long run. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get used to the default setting so I prefer not to do anything with it usually. But this is a inspiring suggest, I will try to put it on shortcut if I find something very useful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to learn CAD at some point in my life. I think it is more advance than photoshop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shortcuts are essential they help us save time and be more efficient, the ribbon allows us to reach some important functions quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the things that I love the most about the advances in technology is the addition of all the shortcuts in mostly every software program. Is it difficult to keep track of EVERY single grade? Absolutely; however, I'm still learning shortcuts even on my iPhone. Having had the opportunity to learn more indepth knowledge on ribbons has been such a huge help in my career that I am very appreciative of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Press Alt to display the tab shortcuts. You can do this from the Library Explorer, or when a book or topic is open in the Editor. A shortcut for each tab is displayed. For Excell that is.

    ReplyDelete