Saturday, April 8, 2023

Data Visualization

The current world moves extremely fast and as it stands there are many different people living here. Not everyone speaks a common language and not everyone can interpret a message the exact same. However, when it comes to data, being capable of displaying data in a way that nearly anyone can understand and interpret is an incredible skill. I recently finished an online course on data visualization as we were in the middle of learning Excel, thus 5.8.1 really stood out to me. In the course, I primarily use R programming language to wrangle and display data, but a vast majority of the data collected nowadays is compiled in Excel. So being able to quickly plot graphs and charts in Excel natively to get a general overview of the data that is in front of me is incredibly convenient. Plus, it is much much easier to plot graphs in Excel than in R! Take a look at this complex "Cheat Sheet" that I received from the course. 

So, would you rather plot in Excel or R??


8 comments:

  1. That's a cheat sheet? My mind is blown on what this program can do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the timing of 5.8.1 Chart Formatting coincided with your data visualization class :-)

    Much easier to create/plot a chart in Excel than R, indeed ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like cheat sheets! That is a good cheat sheet alright. For someone like me, an ordinary person cannot comprehend such complex data but I do understand the purpose of it. It is like taking a large amount of information and putting it into a picture or a chart, making it easier to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought binary numbers and morse code was challenging enough! Wow. I am sticking to plotting in Excel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HaHa, it's cool to learn a new programming language. I wish I could learn all useful programming language in order to stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I have no idea what's going on the cheat sheet looks almost foreign to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Network graphs are great for spotting and representing clusters within a large network of data. Let’s imagine you have a huge database filled with customers, and you want to segment them into meaningful clusters for marketing purposes. You could use a network graph to draw connections and parallels between all your customers or customer groups. With any luck, certain clusters and patterns would emerge, giving you a logical means by which to group your audience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol what?! Yeaaaaah.... thank god for plotting in Excel!

    ReplyDelete